Online Now

0 user(s) and 10 guest(s) online | Show All
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Lesson Targets

Lesson Targets 1 year 6 months ago #2997

Hello everyone!

I don't know if I'm the only one, but I am having tremendous trouble with Lesson Targets. I don't know what my mental block is, but every time I'm faced with Lesson Targets and having to do them in the assignments, I draw a blank. I've re-read all of my notes, and all of the information in the modules, looked at examples online, and done extra research, but I haven't found an explanation that has stuck and helped me figure this out. I can't even explain what I don't understand! It's just the concept, I guess. When asked to figure out a lesson target for a class, I'll write 'Getting through an Interview' but that isn't right. I don't know if anybody can help me, but I thought I'd put this here just to cover all of my bases. Thank you all so much for reading this and responding if you choose to. Have a lovely night!

Yours,

Stephanie
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Lesson Targets 1 year 6 months ago #3000

• XN21B8 Sean
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Basically it's what you expect or want your students to know at the end of the lesson. e.g. To know the difference between the Active Voice and the Passive Voice. Hope this helps!
The following user(s) said Thank You: XN21EA Stephanie

Lesson Targets 1 year 6 months ago #3001

• Jenny - ICALAdmin
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 13
We also expanded a little the article on the subject here: www.icaltefl.com/index.php/resources/tef...g/1082-lesson-target
The following user(s) said Thank You: XN21EA Stephanie

Lesson Targets 1 year 6 months ago #3003

Thank you both so much. This has helped me so much. I guess something just wasn't connecting but these explanations have truly helped the concept stick! I truly appreciate your time and help with this topic. Thanks again.

Lesson Targets 1 year 5 months ago #3017

I have been having the same bit of confusion with module 2. I think part of my confusion stems from keeping the textbook jargon straight and understanding how they relate. E.g Target language vs language targets vs language functions vs functional language vs lesson target. I finished the text thinking I had a grasp on all of this.

The target language(TL) is defined as the language being taught, which is English. In mod2 P4 assignment it asks for the target language on the syllabus, to which my answer would normally be English. In this case, it defines it as the function of the target developed before(in Q2.) This would refer to the language functions developed earlier. :blink: So sometimes target language means language function? Or did they mean language targets? Are language targets the same as lesson targets? How do functional language and language functions fit in there? :pinch:

Then you go to the assignment help and it suggests beginner topics for your intermediate class. Sorry, ranting now. No wonder so many students have trouble with this assignment. Understanding what a student-engineer needs is the easy part.

So Stephanie, you are not the only confused one. I almost passed out trying to figure this out. My tutor gave me some examples, i ignored the text, and I resubmitted. Will hear the outcome soon.

Oh, and thanks to anyone who can clarify!
Last Edit: 1 year 5 months ago by XN2235 Clayton.

Lesson Targets 1 year 5 months ago #3019

• Jenny - ICALAdmin
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 13
I've made a note of all of this! Every few months we spend time going over the modules and material and tidying up any misunderstandings so I'm adding your comments to the "to do" list and we'll update the material to try and make things a little clearer.

I guess you will mostly have moved on from this module by the time the new revision comes out but thanks for your input here!
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.169 seconds